Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I really don't like to drive, unless it's on the highway -- and even then, it has to be during daylight with clear viewing. In the city, I much prefer walking to any other mode of transport. This might have part to do with my fear of killing squirrels and other animals, but mostly it actually has to do with the fact that I like to walk, although I'm sure I haven't given bicycing enough of a chance (and I had to leave my bicycle in Madison due to a lack of space in my u-haul trailer...). I have always prefered to live somewhere where I could walk to most everywhere I needed to go -- the grocery store, coffee shop, bars, friends' apartments, etc. I'm finding that Syracuse could be a place like that for me, but I would have to move a little closer to work, I think. Still, I miss those days of living in a city where I could go for months without thinking about driving at all. During my two years in Boston without a car I actually grew to miss driving a little bit, but only those long stretches on the open road -- definitely not Boston traffic. There are actually lots of things I miss about living in a city... most of them are music-related, but there's also the amazing variety in restaurants and other cultural things to do, indy bookstores, public transportation that works (most of the time), ... but Syracuse is ok. I have met some really great people here... and squirrels...

2 comments:

Suze said...

I miss biking! Since having Daniel, I have to drive most places because he's still too small for a bike trailer. Sigh.
Have fun in Detroit. (I like to pronounce it like it's French: De-TWAH)

pamigelsrud said...

I miss biking in Madison!! I could so easily borrow my mom's bike and ride it to work, but first of all, it is REALLY hilly around here -- and secondly, there are NO bike lanes on my route to work. The street I take for most of the way has cars parked on both sides and I frequently see dead squirrels on the road and even one time saw a guy on a bike who had been hit by a car sitting on the side of the road. I am just not brave enough at this point. Remember how I hit a parked car while biking down Johnson St.?? I don't think it's a good idea... Have fun at MEMF!!!