Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Well, I did a google search for courses on environmental literature and compiled a preliminary list of books for my reading venture based on the most common books listed on those syllabi:

A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold
Walden - Henry David Thoreau
Silent Spring - Rachel Carson
Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey
The Monkey Wrench Gang - Edward Abbey
Refuge - Terry Tempest Williams
Into the Forest - Jean Hegland
Our National Parks - John Muir

I'm also going to look at a few others that I only saw listed once, but looked interesting to me:

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard
Soft Energy Paths - Amory Lovins
Stuff: the Secret Lives of Everyday Things - John C. Ryan and Alan Durning
Thinking Like a Mountain - Johanna Macy

I guess I'll see what's available at the library first and check some of this stuff out. We just had a pretty loud thunderstorm, but it seems to have tapered off. The backyard was a beautiful emerald green -- I took a picture, but the color didn't really come out. Oh well.



Here are some other pictures I took earlier. There were these two squirrels that must have been siblings that used to play and wrestle around at the bird feeder -- they were so cute -- but I haven't seen them since I've been back. Maybe one of them bit the dust or moved to another tree?? It's interesting to see how different the squirrels look here than in Michigan.




I love this photo of Vana. Again, the color didn't come out as well as I thought it would.

No comments: