Saturday, August 05, 2006

I had a good cry this afternoon. I was chopping up a really dark purple onion and my eyes started stinging like crazy so I had to go to the other side of the room and wipe my eyes (after having washed my hands, of course -- I've made that mistake before -- owww!). Anyway, I've decided to write out the recipe for the delicious biryani I just made. Now, keep in mind, I didn't use a recipe and this is going to be far from exact, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Biryani à la Pamb

You will need:

1 c. basmati rice
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 big portabello mushroom
1 medium tomato
1 small eggplant (or broccoli or spinach can be used if you really don't like eggplant : ))
1 medium purple onion (or any other onion would probably be fine)
1/2 c. raisins +
1/2 c. cashew pieces +
1 can coconut milk
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 tbsp. Thai Red Curry Paste (or Indian curry paste works fine)


First, make the rice (1 c. rice to 2 c. water -- boiled simultaneously and then simmered until the water is absorbed)
Then, chop up the onion and sautée it in some olive oil on med low heat in the biggest frying pan you have until it becomes somewhat translucent.
Next, chop up the mushroom, tomato, and eggplant and add it to the onion, continuously stirring it.
Then, add in a generous handful of raisins and cashew pieces. (Lots taste very good in this recipe)
Next, add most of a can of coconut milk, a can of stewed tomatoes, and a tablespoon of red curry paste, stirring continuously. (Depending on the size of your pan, you may not want to add the whole cans)
Then, gradually add the basmati rice to the mixture (again, you might not want to add all of the rice, depending on the pan)
At this point you may want to raise the heat, if there is too much liquid in the pan, or add more mushrooms &/or eggplant.
I like to let this cook on relatively high heat long enough for the basmati rice and tomato sauce to make a bit of a crust like hash browns on the bottom and then mix it in and lower the heat a bit.

*Note: most of what I used was organic &/or local

Well, that's pretty much it. It makes a great meal and tastes better every day you eat the leftovers. I have made something similar to this on a number of occasions with slightly varying recipes. It's very flexible.

No comments: