Thursday, August 10, 2006

This is one of my best friends.



Her name is Jezebel and I adopted her along with her friend, Vana, in January of 1997 from my friend Bryan, whose parents wouldn't let him take them with him when he moved back home to Detroit after an emotionally tumultuous break-up. Bryan and his former roommate, Dave, were classmates of mine at the Eastman School of Music, where I did my undergraduate degree. The story goes that Dave found Jezebel as a kitten in a snow bank during a snow storm during the winter of 1993-94. I can't even imagine what that must have been like -- how little she was or really what the circumstances must have been like. I have never been satisfied with the lack of detail in that story. All I know is that when I adopted Jezebel and Vana I had never had cats before and I was so clueless as to how to take care of them that I didn't even have a cat carrier when I went to pick them up at Bryan's house, which he also abandoned, by the way, with lots of furniture and other stuff, including unpaid rent and utility bills. I found a very overloaded kitty litter box in the basement, which I left there, and in the kitchen, a box of Purina cat chow and a water bowl. It's not really that surprising that Vana let me, a total stranger, pick her up right away and take her to my car. She was actually really sick at the time with a bad case of pyometra that nearly took her life. Neither of them had ever been to the vet before, but Jezebel was healthy enough to run like mad when I tried to pick her up. She ran right out the door at one point and hid under the house for a couple of hours. I was so overwhelmed with frustration at my lack of preparedness for the situation that I laid down on the floor and started to cry at one point. In a matter of ten minutes or so Jezebel was lying right on top of me purring loudly. That was the first time she made me laugh and then that made me cry some more.

More on Vana later...

No comments: