Friday, September 29, 2006

I decided to return to Syracuse to finish cleaning up my room and organizing my stuff, with the thought that I might still get to Boston by October 1st. I still have a lot of thinking to do and the change in environment is definitely making an impact on me. I took this picture on the NYS Thruway on the way home:



Aren't these clouds amazing? Check out the rays streaming out of them.

Yesterday I was driving through Syracuse in the afternoon and the clouds were so thick it looked like there was black smoke hanging over the city. Today is just another typical day. It's raining and the sky looks like this:




From what I recall, the sky looks like this all winter in upstate NY. It's 10:00am and so dark inside the house that I have all the lights on in order to see what I'm doing. I think the main difference between places in the lower great lakes region and the rest of the country is that in other regions when it's not raining or about to rain, there aren't many clouds in the sky. Here, there is a thick white blanket in the sky for weeks at a time even when there's no precipitation. It's what meteorologists call "Lake-effect cloudiness", I think. Do you think that has anything to do with why it's so cheap to live here? I mean, otherwise, this is a beautiful part of the country -- rolling hills, dense forests, lakes, all sorts of wildlife, etc. etc... I have to admit the cloudiness is kind of depressing. I don't know why.

No comments: