Thursday, September 14, 2006

I voted in my first primary ever on Tuesday. I guess this job has made me more aware of how important it is to participate in government and how sad it is that so many people don't -- OR are robbed of the opportunity to do so. I always voted in the presidential elections, but usually I managed to be uninformed about when the primary was happening or who was running. This year I became very aware of the primary because I helped to copy and distribute Voter Guides made up by the Peace Action of New York State office for the New York Senate race. In the process I became aware of just how much Hillary Clinton does not stand in line with my pacifist beliefs and how much Jonathan Tasini does. But if anyone felt a sense of defeatism as to whether going to the polls would make any difference, I can understand. There were many things going against Tasini from the beginning, one of the biggest being Clinton's celebrity status. But even more than that was the issue of money. Hillary Clinton raised $40 million dollars for her campaign, whereas Tasini raised a meager $200,000. What kind of competition is that? The funny thing is, I thought I had officially switched to the Green Party, but I guess I must have dropped the ball at some point and it never happened. I actually wasn't even sure I was still a Democrat until my voting reminder card came in the mail the day before the election. There was a time when I had a lot of faith in Hillary Clinton and was excited at the thought of a woman president. But I'm learning that just because you are a woman doesn't mean you are more sensitive to the pain of others, more likely to stand up for those without a voice. (Look at Condoleezza Rice.) This just in:

"Senate approves $453 billion military budget for 2007 including another $50 billion for Iraq war.

On Thursday, Sept. 7, the Senate approved the 2007 Defense Appropriations bill. The vote was 98-0 in favor, with Senators
Chafee (R-RI) and Lieberman (?-CT) not voting."

No comments: