Thursday, November 30, 2006

As I was walking through Harvard Yard after work today, I found myself thinking about how, at first glance, the main difference between the students at Harvard and those at UW-Madison is the color of their shirts. It's kind of funny to me how many students wear t-shirts and sweatshirts with their school name plastered on the front. No one really wore school-themed clothing at Eastman or NEC that I can remember -- at least not with any regularity. At UW-Madison we used to call the red clothing with "WISCONSIN" in white letters across the front (or the butt) "the uniform" (Didn't we?). Harvard's colors are maroon and white and I haven't yet seen anyone with "HARVARD" across their butt(s) (!!), but there are still plenty of "uniforms". Ok, so there are some other huge differences... like that in Wisconsin there are more fair, blond people than I have ever seen before in my life. And, students at Harvard seem to dress nicer than people at UW, but that is really just a general difference between people in Madison and people in Boston (and yes, probably has something to do with money). I mean, there are obviously lots of other differences between the schools, the students, the campuses, etc., but anyway...

So, I'm in my first week of work at the Lamont Library at Harvard, which is a library just for undergraduates. It's a *very* nice facility, just as everything at Harvard is. Right now, since I don't yet have an ID or computer access, I'm doing mostly trivial stuff, like shredding, but I've also learned how to process books for the "New Book Shelf", which is pretty fun. Also, it's only part-time, so I'm still looking for more work. I need a big kick in the butt to get going on the music part of things. I don't know why I'm dragging my feet so much. I'll actually be flying to Cleveland next week to sing on a concert for a friend there, so hopefully that will help!

3 comments:

pamigelsrud said...

So... today (Friday) I hardly saw anyone wearing Harvard apparel. Go figure!

Suze said...

maybe they have the opposite of "casual friday"...?

how do you like your job? is this a temp thing, or a relatively permanent position?

pamigelsrud said...

It's great! It's so nice to be somewhere where I would actually want to be even if I weren't at work. Yes, I'm a big nerd! The position officially only goes until June, but I've been told that there is a good chance they will renew it. We'll see... Anyway, for now, it's really interesting.