Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas survey

Susan didn't *make* me do this, but I got the idea from her blog.

1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
I definitely drink more hot chocolate than eggnog, but the holidays wouldn't be the same without a little eggnog.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa who?

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
If I had a treehouse, I would definitely put colored lights on it.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Ooh, good idea.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
My mom puts decorations up pretty soon after Thanksgiving. It has been so long since I had a home of my own where I could have a tree or any significant decorations that I don't think I can say what I usually do about any of this. If I had the space and it made any sense, I would get a tree now.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
I love the veg filo casserole my mom and I make, but I also love mashed potatoes.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
My family did almost exactly the same thing every year for Christmas from the time I was born until my Grandpa died in 1991 or so. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail, but the gist is as follows: My family and my mom's sister's family all drove to Galesburg, IL to 1343 N. Kellogg St. (the grandparents' house). Christmas eve we all went to church (where we sang silent night with candles, of course and I probably sang "I Wonder as I Wander" or "O Holy Night" and my cousin Julia probably played something pretty on the violin) and then the kids were all instructed to go to bed while our moms and dads wrapped presents and drank eggnog with rum in it. When we went to bed our stockings were all lined up on the banister (all 11 of them), but when we woke up the next morning, they were all spread out around the living room with a heap of presents under the tree. We were allowed to open our stockings before breakfast, but had to wait patiently and eat coffee cake and drink orange juice until the adults decided it was time to open the presents. For the next 8 or so years while my Grandma was still alive, we tried to maintain the same traditions in upstate NY between my mom's house and my aunt and uncle's place, but after she died, our tradition fell apart for the most part. It's pretty sad for the little kid in me, but I think in time we'll have all new traditions to keep up with.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't know what you're talking about.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Usually one or two.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
We have a lot of worn out old ornaments that have been around forever that we put up for sentimental reasons and we usually use colored lights. We go back and forth between an angel and a star at the top.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Snow is great as long as I'm not driving. I'm pretty good at driving in snow (having grown up in the "snow belt") but I still would rather drive on a dry road.

12. Can you ice skate?
I used to take figure skating lessons when I was young, but I haven't skated for years.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I remember vividly one year when I really wanted the sheet music to "Annie", the musical. I was SO excited to get it.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Being with my family and being reminded of what is really important in life.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
My mom makes awesome ginger cut-out cookies. I love those. I also love her mincemeat cookies and her pumpkin cookies. I also love pumpkin pie.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Singing carols!

17. What tops your tree?
Nothing at the moment.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
I have a lot of anxiety about giving gifts, so when I find something that I really think someone will like, I get really excited about it. Like that year I bought everyone the book, *Walter the Farting Dog*. What a great year : )

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
*On this Day Earth Shall Ring* (with a good chime ringer and a big, loud organ and choir)

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
I'm not really that crazy about them.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
Charlie Brown

22. What do you leave for Santa?
Who is this Santa person you keep talking about?

No comments: