Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My dad is in Venezuela this week with a group called Witness For Peace. Here's a link I found to some cool photos from the last time this group went to Venezuela.

I have to admit that I have purposely taken myself out of the loop on US Foreign Policy since leaving Syracuse, so I'm not completely sure what they are hoping to accomplish. I think maybe the trip is just educational for the people traveling, so they can share what they see/hear/etc. with people in the US when they return. It's so easy to get the wrong impression of how things are in other countries if all you do is listen to (or, God forbid, watch) American news, so even if that is the primary mission, I think it's most likely very worthwhile. I feel kind of lame about just how out of the loop I have become. I definitely needed to take a step back, as my involvement in politics had become a bit overwhelming, but now I think I might be a bit too far removed.

Here are a few articles I have randomly chosen to read about Hugo Chavez's politics. I'll share them with you:

New York Gets Venezuela Cheap Oil

Chavez Casts Himself as the Anti-Bush

Oil Fat Cats vs. Hugo Chavez

Why God has replaced Marx for Latin America's Leaders

Why Hugo Chavez Won a Landslide Victory

Cheap oil from Chavez arrives in US

Let me know if you find anything more interesting. :-)

No comments: