Friday, June 29, 2007

Auto Pilot

(Blogging is a great way to procrastinate!)

This morning as I was driving to work, I suddenly found that I was on a totally different road than I meant to be on. I was driving along and started noticing familiar landmarks, but ones I don't usually see on my way to work. I think my first alert was Foodmaster. I thought, "Huh... I don't usually see Foodmaster on my way to work. Do I?" Then I passed Park St., where I used to turn to get up to Somerville Ave. Again... Huh...? What road am I on? Am I even going the right direction? It didn't take me that long to realize I was on Beacon Street headed towards Porter Square, which was indeed the direction I wanted to be going, but how I got from Broadway, which is normally the road I take to Harvard Square and then up Mass Ave. to Rte. 2,-- to Beacon St., which is a bit out of the way, was completely beyond me and totally tripped me up. I kept thinking, "How did I get on Beacon St.?" and "Why did I turn wherever I turned to get here?" and "Why don't I remember doing this at all?" I could easily say that I used to take Prospect St. to Beacon St. to Somerville Ave. all the time and I must have just done it on auto pilot because I was tired and not thinking, but I've never lived off Broadway before this month and never been in the habit of turning onto Prospect from Broadway. Still, the thing that fascinates me most is the question, "Why don't I remember turning?" Wouldn't you know, a similar thing happened to me yesterday, actually. I was driving back to Cambridge from work and suddenly realized I was on the road to Walden Pond. I have actually done this before by accident, as in order to stay on Rte. 2 you have to follow a steep curve to the right, which looks very similar to the right turn off, which precedes it, that goes to Walden Pond. But again the question in my mind was why it took me so long to even notice that I had made a wrong turn. I have noticed that stress does funny things to my brain. I become very forgetful, have had bizarro moments of dyslexia at times, find myself completely unable to think of very simple things, become redundant, etc. But, as driving is the most dangerous activity I take part in everyday, I worry that if I'm capable of driving without being "in my body", it's possible I could hit someone or something. I hate driving really. I would much rather walk and would even walk all the way to Sudbury if it wasn't 20 miles (about a 5 hour walk) away. I think it would surely be safer...

2 comments:

Pam said...

testing for bings...

Pam said...

no bing?