Tuesday, June 12, 2007

QUIZ TUESDAY!

(This quiz would be more fun if you didn't google the answers. Don't you think? :-))

1. What kind of people does Holden Caulfield hate?

2. Which instrument(s) musically illustrate(s) a beheading in Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique?

3. Whose head on a platter was given as a gift to Salome?

4. Name 3 novels (title and author) in which female characters are found singing and/or playing the piano.

5. What author wrote a book comparing a great composer, a great artist, and a great mathematician?

6. In what movie does one find coconuts used in lieu of a horse?

7. What event is usually cited as the inspiration for the exoticism that developed in Western music in the early 20th century?

8. Which character is most adamant about avenging his father's death in "the Princess Bride"?

9. Who is the host of "The Daily Show"?

10. What city is hosting this summer's Olympic Games?

2 comments:

Steph said...

Ok. (crack knuckles) Google-free.

1. I can't remember. Crap.

2. Doesn't the whole orchestra do a short tutti chord? And then a little string pizzicato to represent the head rolling?

3. John the Baptist

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
A Small Rain by Madeleine L'Engle

5. Douglas Hofstadter (Godel, Escher, Bach). It sat on my shelf for years. I thought it made me look smart...please don't ask me if I read it...

6. Uh...Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

7. the 1889 International Exposition in Paris (ethnomusicologists love this question)

8. Inigo Montoya

9. Jon Stewart, my boyfriend

10. uh....dunno.

Pam said...

Very impressive, Steph!! I guess I'll wait until later tonight to see if anyone else wants to try before I declare you the winner!! :-)