Monday, July 09, 2007

I'm still here in Syracuse and though I'll be back in Boston tomorrow evening, it looks like I'll be returning here the next two weekends to see my Mom -- and my brother, who arrives tomorrow and stays for a week! -- and to rehearse for the chamber opera I'm performing on the 20th in Cazenovia. Mom continues to do well and it's not surprising that she's not content to just sit around, but rather is up and about as often as she can manage it. We've been doing a set of physical therapy exercises twice a day and that's going well. She says her leg feels strange and sore. We think the doctor cut through a muscle (perhaps the sartorius?), so we think much of the soreness and pain is part of the muscle rebuilding process. I've been trying to keep up with the reading for my class and am hoping to at least get a start on this week's homework today. Yesterday I kept feeling sleepy while reading, so I made myself a pot of yerba maté tea. Within a half-hour or so I was covered in hives! I looked like I had a sunburn and mosquito bites all over my body. Yikes! Luckily, after a couple of Benadryl, everything cleared up and I've been fine since. Strangely, though the Benadryl made me drowsy, I was better able to concentrate while reading under its influence than I am now or was before I took it. Hmmm...

2 comments:

Ian said...

Unfortunately, it has been shown that recall is best when you are in the same mental state as when you learned something. Thus, for that to really work for you, you would need to take Benadryl during any exams (and while doing homework)...

Pam = blog said...

Crap. Oh well.