Monday, July 23, 2007

This morning on my way to work I got pulled over for running a red light by a pudgy little cop in high boots on a motor scooter. This isn't the first time I've been pulled over in the block of Mass Ave. north of Harvard Square. I'll have to post another time about why maybe that is... I should note, however, that I have never actually gotten a ticket. The first time I got let off with a warning. This time the cop, while writing my ticket, lost my driver's license. I knew there was a problem when I saw him repeatedly looking through his papers.

"What is he looking for?" I thought.

"Uh... I don't know how it happened, but I seem to have lost your license. So, that's what the delay is..." he said to me as he approached my car window.

"Uh... ok," I said.

Ten minutes later, after consulting with another cop who was on duty nearby, he returned to my car to say the good news was that he wasn't going to give me a citation, but the bad news was that he still couldn't find my license.

I started to suggest that he look under nearby cars, since my car was double-parked on the side of the road where he pulled me over, in case it flew out of his hands or something. But, he didn't listen to me. I got the feeling in looking at him that bending over was probably a challenge. He gave me the number of the Cambridge police department and told me to call later in the day to see if my license had been found, told me his name was O'Brien, and sent me on my way.

What a morning!

No comments: