Monday, September 24, 2007

Let's write a story...

[ADD A SENTENCE OR TWO IN THE COMMENTS AS FREQUENTLY AS YOU LIKE AND I WILL ADD IT TO THE POST -- THIS IS JUST FOR FUN (of course), SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR INPUT!!]

They had been walking for what seemed like days -- with no water, no food, and no company but each other -- no other signs of life. Ole looked down to see that his
calloused feet had started to bleed again.

"Huh," he muttered.

Ela looked up, tiredly followed his gaze, and her swollen lips cracked in a wan smile.
And then it happened again -- and she began to cry.

"I expect I'm going to die out here, Ole," she sobbed. "I just can't see how I'm going to make it much farther."

Ole managed a dry chuckle, taking a hold of her hand. "Well, nothing ventured, right? Isn't that what we said?"

"Oh Ole, how can you say that?" She feebly pulled her hand free to daub at her eyes.


"Where's that thingy Irwin gave us? Let's check our coordinates again. We haven't checked for hours, you know. Maybe we're closer than we think."

"That... What?!" Ela spluttered. "That piece of junk was our MAP!?"

"I've been using it for weeks, didn't you know that?" Ole was dumbfounded. "I checked it just this morning!"

"And then I threw it down a canyon because it was turning you into a lunatic!"

"I--"

"Every time you pulled that thing out you'd mumble to yourself for an hour! And then, you'd head off away from what looked like water!"


"Oh, Ela! You stupid, stupid woman! What have you done?!!"

"I'll tell you what I've done, Ole! I've put an end to all this craziness! I've stopped you from killing us with your deluded fantasies! There's no space ship out here, Ole! There was never a space ship!"

Ole sat down heavily, shaken by her spiteful words. He looked at her standing there, arms akimbo, and it hit him that he didn't know her, that he'd never known her.

5 comments:

Jake said...

They had been walking for what seemed like days -- with no water, no food, and no company but each other -- no other signs of life. Ole looked down to see that his calloused feet had started to bleed again.

"Huh," he muttered.

Ela looked up, tiredly followed his gaze, and her swollen lips cracked in a wan smile.

Jake said...

"I expect I'm going to die out here, Ole," she sobbed. "I just can't see how I'm going to make it much farther."

Ole managed a dry chuckle, taking a hold of her hand. "Well, nothing ventured, right? Isn't that what we said?"

"Oh Ole, how can you say that?" She feebly pulled her hand free to daub at her eyes.

Jake said...

"That... What?!" Ela spluttered. "That piece of junk was our MAP!?"

"I've been using it for weeks, didn't you know that?" Ole was dumbfounded. "I checked it just this morning!"

"And then I threw it down a canyon because it was turning you into a lunatic!"

"I--"

"Every time you pulled that thing out you'd mumble to yourself for an hour! And then, you'd head off away from what looked like water!"

Jake said...

Ole sat down heavily, shaken by her spiteful words. He looked at her standing there, arms akimbo, and it hit him that he didn't know her, that he'd never known her.

Pam said...

This was fun! Thanks, Jake!