Friday, September 07, 2007

Yesterday was a *long* day. I left Susan, Stu, and Daniel in Madison at 7:30am and picked up Ian at 1:30pm at the Des Moines airport. Ian showed me the house where he grew up, his elementary school and high school, and where he and his friend used to do pop wheelies :-). Then we got back on the road. Iowa and Nebraska were full of corn fields and grazing cows and at one point in Nebraska we were pounded with a pretty severe thunderstorm. I was very glad Ian was driving while we kept getting sloshed by giant tractor trailers, which made the visibility approach nil at times. I have never seen that much lightning in my life. It was flashing about once every two seconds for a while there. Finally we reached the other side of it and stopped at some pretty fancy trucker stops. We arrived at my brother and sister-in-law's house in the outskirts of Denver at around 1:00am. We were both *really* tired! I have not really adjusted to the new time zone yet, so I've been up for a while, but Ian is still sleeping, of course :-). This house is really big and fancy. Both Eddie and Nziza had to go to work this morning, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of them this afternoon. Whew! This has been some week! And, I should also say that I have had the pieces I recorded with Susan running through my head non-stop!! There are some really, really gorgeous moments in there.

3 comments:

Andre said...

Safe travels to both you!!

Jake said...

I miss lightning like that...

Suze said...

i agree that thunderstorms are a perk of living in the midwest. nothing beats a kansas thunderstorm, in my opinion.

i'm going to listen to some of the stuff we recorded and try and make some editing decisions this weekend.

safe travels the rest of the way!