Saturday, October 20, 2007

I love San Francisco. It's awesome. Settled by the Spanish in 1776, it was named for St. Francis of Assisi, the Patron Saint of animals, birds, and the environment. He might be most widely remembered for his famous prayer:

Lord, make me a channel of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
and where there is darkness, light.

O, Divine Maker,
Help me seek not so much to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in death that we are born into eternal life.

I'll have to post some pictures of the pretty city soon!!

3 comments:

Jake said...

Reminds me of Santa Fe's full name: La Villa Real de la Santa Fe de San Francisco de Assisi. I've always been partial to St. Francis of Assisi - thanks for that meditation!

Steph said...

We had this prayer read at our wedding. It's always been a favorite of mine, too.

andre said...

A tiny, little man. . and such a big heart. You're taking me back to catholic school with this.