Monday, November 26, 2007

Getting to Know You

1. What are you reading these days? &/or What's the last book you finished?

2. How many books do you typically read at once?

3. Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

4. Do you tend towards any certain genres? (i.e. sci fi, mystery, victorian, etc.)

5. Do you like to browse around in bookstores? If so, what are your favorite bookstores?

6. Do you have a library card in the town you currently live in? If not, when's the last time you had a library card?

7. Are there any books you'd like to read that you don't have your hands on yet?

8. Do you like to get/give books as presents?

(Me: 1. I was reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, but put it down before/during the move and haven't resumed reading it yet; 2. I usually read one book at a time. I may glance through or read part of 20 others, but I only dedicate myself to finishing one book at a time; 3. I go through phases where I prefer one or the other; 4. i am more likely to tend towards certain authors and read most or all of their works if i like their style regardless of the genre; 5. yes yes yes! i admit i like the big chains because there are so many books to look at, but i prefer the indy chains, like trident and brookline booksmith in boston and a room of one's own in madison. i also like used book stores, like books & memories in syracuse and ravens books in cambridge; 6. no. brookline/boston; 7. yes - i'm looking forward to checking out oliver sacks's new book about music; 8. yes/yes.)

3 comments:

Jake said...

1. Breaking the News, by James Fallows.

2. Oy. Technically, I'm in the middle of about 20, but I'm trying to focus on one at a time so I can finish something every now and again!

3. I guess I go halvsies on that one.

4. Oh, sci-fi or literature for fiction, science, politics, economics, history for non.

5. Love it! The Tattered Cover in Denver is the best, and I prefer independant stores, but I'll be just as happy in a B&N.

6. No. Uh. Parker, CO?

7. Oof. Too many to name!

8. Yes/sometimes - only occasionally do I find a book I can recommend heartily enough for a gift!

Suze said...

1. Sigh. I've been meaning to start "Water for Elephants" for several days now (my mom brought me her copy over Thanksgiving), but I haven't yet.

2. 1-3.

3. No strong preference. It just has to be good.

4. Not really. I'm not a big genre reader (like sci fi for instance. ugh.)

5. Yes. Admittedly, I like Borders. I like seeing all the new books on the table and trying to remember to check them out of the library.

6. Oh yes!

7. Eat, Pray, Love. The waiting list at the library has, like, 400 people in line, though. No kidding. I might just buy that one.

8. Yes and yes!

Steph said...

1. I'm reading Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett, Vodou Nation by Michael Largey, and Witching Culture by Sabina Magliocco. (One fiction, two academic.) I just finished rereading The Bowl is Already Broken by Mary Kay Zuravleff, which is about the best novel I've read in the past year.

2. Three's probably my average. One book rarely satisfies all my immediate intellectual and emotional needs, though I love the idea of just reading one book at a time.

3. Couldn't possibly choose. I just like good writing.

4. I'm on a total fantasy kick. But it has to be good. No crappy Tolkien ripoffs. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman are my boyfriends.

5. What kind of screwed-up person doesn't like browsing bookstores?? (Oh yeah, I'm married to one. Even though our first date was at Borders.) When I have cash to blow (whenever that is), I like small ones. I miss the Crazy Wisdom and Shaman Drum bookstores in Ann Arbor like nobody's business. But I confess part of me prefers the big corporate ones because I never feel guilty for leaving them without buying anything.

6. Hell, yes. The library is my shopping.

7. I have a massive list. I'll spare you. I would perish without interlibrary loan.

8. Yeah, but it's tricky. Honestly, there are not a whole lot of books that I need to own. It's easy to misfire with book gifts, unless you and the giftee really share kindred tastes. Take it from someone who gave her "Cat Who" mystery-reading mother a copy of Toni Morrison's Sula for her birthday. Sometimes a bookstore gift card is the best way to say I Love You.