Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Good-bye Subaru...

So, it seems that I must get rid of my car. The expense of keeping it in the city is just too great for my poor self. I would actually be saving money if I were to invest in a $200/mo parking space -- and that's just craziness. This city is making lots of bucks off car owners - from the 25c it costs for 5 minutes (or 10 minutes if you're lucky) of parking meter time, to the way inflated cost of car repair ($440 for new brake pads and rotors - just in front), to the $340 I was charged because I accidentally parked at a meter which is reserved specially for trucks on weekdays from 9-4 (that's for the towing "service" and the parking ticket combined). Add to that the very high price of gas (I think I paid $3.75/gallon last night?) and the hassle of myriad rules and regulations about where you can and can't park which leads inevitably to the occasional parking ticket ($40 x 3) and you've got the reason why I have to sell my car. My Dad gave me the car as a gift the summer after I graduated from New England Conservatory (2004). It's a green 1997 Subaru Impreza with some significant rust and a few dents where people crashed computer monitors into it :-). It originally belonged to my father's late wife, Joan, who died of cancer in 1999, so it has significant sentimental value. It's a good car. It runs well. It has served me quite well -- taking me safely on many long trips, including my most recent journey across the whole country. I hate to part with it. But, I think of all the good that will come from living without a car. More exercise, more money, less hassle... And, there's always ZipCar.

2 comments:

Jake said...

Can you drive the car home to the family manse and fly back to SF?

Pamela said...

That's a long trip...