Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Morning Choral Fantasy

Some days I get music stuck in my head and I just can't make it go away. Sometimes I don't want it to go away and I wish it would get louder and envelope me in its beauty.

This morning, these choral anthems have been running through my head:

"Totus Tuus sum, Maria, mater nostri Redemptoris,
Virgo Dei, Virgo pia, mater mundi Salvatoris."
(the Gorecki setting)

"Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away.
For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear upon the earth.
The time of singing of birds is come.
Arise my love, my fair one, and come away."
(the Healey Willan setting)

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
There shall be no more death,
neither sorrow nor crying,
neither shall there be any more pain.
For the former things are passed away."
(I can't remember who this anthem is by)

This morning all I want is to lie down with my eyes closed and listen to these anthems really loud. The music is SO beautiful. I wish I could describe it for you in some way. When I think of it, I think of total peace. When I sing these anthems, I feel at peace. The longing is so great. It almost hurts.

No comments: