I get really sad sometimes when I think about the family holiday traditions from my childhood that we are no longer able to keep on because of deaths, marriages, relocation, etc. As a child I spent every Thanksgiving either at my own house in Syracuse, NY or at my Aunt and Uncle's in Potsdam, NY. And, we all spent every Christmas at my Grandma and Grandpa's place in Galesburg, IL. (We drove there from Syracuse/Potsdam every year.) We were always together. Now we are all spread out -- in Florida, Virginia, New York, Michigan, Colorado, and California -- and the traditions we continued well past my college graduation have now become impossible to maintain. But, when I start getting all weepy and nostalgic about it, it occurs to me that perhaps I need to make an effort to let go of the past. So, I've decided it would be fun to dream up some new holiday traditions. Wanna help? What do you think would be a good holiday tradition to begin?
- Thanksgiving eve cinnamon toast party
- Thanksgiving turkey stuffed with lo-mein
- Sledding through the streets of SF (we don't need snow... we've got enough hills)
- Annual toothpaste smoke-a-thon
- Holiday caroling with tri-tone harmonies
- Advent wreath with sparklers
- Advent calendar -- shot of whisky a day
- Boxing Day pillow fight and jell-o wrestling
Do you have any favorite traditions?