Monday, December 17, 2007

Nonsense!

I'm having some trouble getting my thoughts clear enough to write a blog post, but I want to write a blog post, so I guess I'm just going to write down some of my incoherent thoughts and deal with the consequences later.

We saw I am legend this weekend. Interesting premise - a scientist develops a virus that cures cancer in 10,000 human subjects. All seems well until it mutates and wipes out the majority of the population. Before those with the virus die they become crazy rabid monsters. Good story.

What would happen if the world was actually rid of disease? What would happen if everyone on the planet had everything they needed to live well and achieve their own potential? Would people do more? or is adversity needed for great achievement? Just a few thoughts. Not related to the movie really...

Would Dennis Kucinich make a good president? Whenever I take those surveys to determine my ideal candidate, he always ends up on top. But, my question is, is he someone the American public could ever embrace? I mean, is he good looking enough to be our president? Just kidding. In all seriousness, though, it's a tricky business deciding who to vote for. You want to support the candidate who stands for what you believe in, but don't you also have to support someone who has a chance of winning? I dunno. And, what if there were a Republican candidate worth considering because he's anti-war? Would I vote for a Democrat who is pro-war just because s/he is a Democrat?

I am not such a good shopper and as far as Christmas shopping goes, I always wait until the last minute -- pretty much every year. The worst thing (in my mind) would be to get someone a gift they don't want, never use, and end up throwing out. Why bother getting them anything at all? But, what to give? Something personal... something unique... something everyone needs... something extremely usable... Still thinking...

I have this funny habit of referring to job interviews I go on as auditions... Sometimes it doesn't actually come out of my mouth that way, but that's only because my brain figures out it's the wrong word *before* it comes out.

I see more homeless people now that I'm living in California than I did in any other place I've ever lived. In San Francisco, I literally walk past dozens of folks sleeping on the sidewalk every day. And, even down here in the 'burbs, there are plenty of folks on the street looking for spare change. When I lived in Rochester, NY, during college one of my friends told me he discovered an underground city. It's true that there was a subway built that the city wasn't able to continue using, but I'm not sure how true the *city* part of my friend's story is. Obviously Rochester is a smaller city than San Francisco, but even in Boston I didn't see nearly as many people sleeping on the street. Do you suppose it's because California never gets so cold that people could die from living outdoors, so people live outdoors year round, whereas in the cold northeast folks live underground or more often in sheletered areas? Or, do you think it has something to do with state laws about where you can or can't sleep? At any rate, it's sad to see so many people who are living on so little. It's really quite amazing how they get by.

I dyed my hair this weekend. I was going for dark. I've never dyed my hair a really dark brown that didn't involve significant amounts of red, so I thought I'd give it a try. I have had hair of every shade from light blonde to dark reddish brown (other than non-standard hair colors, like green, blue, purple, and pink, which I have thought about, but have never gone through with) so I figured it was time to see what really dark brown looked like on me. Unfortunately (or not??) I ended up with black hair. Jet black. I didn't realize in proceeding from numbers 3 and 4 (or whatever they were) on the hair dye boxes that I was going from dark brown to black -- two *totally* different realms of color. My only concern is just that I don't think it looks particularly natural on me. I feel a little odd. But, I'll give myself some time to see if I get used to it. Both my Mom and her sister used to have black hair, so I suppose it isn't that far fetched. It's just a little bizarre at the moment...

3 comments:

Willa said...

Hi Pamela. I've never met you and just happened to stumble across your blog. You write wonderfully well and with great insight. You ask thought provoking questions and touch on emotions and topics that resonate with many I suspect. You made me ponder many topics as I read your words and I wanted to say, thank you! Your friends are truly blessed to have you for a friend.
Willa

Pamela said...

Thank you, Willa. That's very kind of you to say!

Steph said...

I'm so much of a wuss that I almost had to leave the theater during the previews of I Am Legend, so I think I'm gonna have to skip that one.

My hair is pretty close to black, which is sort of a safeguard against dye misadventures so long as one stays away from bleach, but Susan and I did do some surprisingly long-lasting damage with Kool-Aid back in high school. I got some purple-ish highlights, which weren't so bad, but her hair is lighter and she went super pink. Heehee. Her mom didn't think it was so funny, though. Good luck with your new look. ;)