Monday, January 14, 2008

Social Networks

Remember that conversation we had not too long ago about how much our social networks have changed because of the internet? Well, I think this article adds some interesting insight on the issue.

This past weekend I was on faculty at a choir clinic for high school girls in Occidental, CA, a little town about 70 miles north of San Francisco. We stayed in cabins in the woods, with performances and classes in the lodge house. I was "off the grid" for the first time in months. It was SO nice to disconnect from my computer networks and instead connect with other human beings. I have to admit I was a little worried about what the consequences might be of being unreachable. What if someone I love gets hurt? What if someone really needs to get a hold of me? It's so easy to forget that we've only had these conveniences for a short time and that we survived just fine for a really long time without them. In the end, everything turned out fine. I wonder if I ought to take a few days "off the grid" every month?

2 comments:

Andre said...

I highly recommend it whenever possible!

Jake said...

That article is pretty thought-provoking... I've known a few friends who've gone off all social-networking sites, though more for the "sitting in front of the computer not hanging out with friends" reason than the rather disturbing politics of the principal stakeholders of the site in question. While I've enjoyed some of facebook's features, participation does raise the spectre of big brother...

I'm definitely mixed about how much of a break to take from being online. It's like blogging - if you're not constant about it, people lose interest. The hard part nowadays is maintaining connections and friendships while off the grid...