Friday, July 11, 2008

Getting to Know You

(for those of you who are new to my blog quizzes, write your answers in the "comments")

1. What is a song you've had stuck in your head this week?
2. What's a poem or quote that inspires you?
3. What is a piece of music you haven't listened to before, but would like to?
4. What is a painting/drawing you love to look at?
5. Name a pretty place you've been to.

(me: 1. Phydile (Duparc), 2. Poem - "The Journey" by Mary Oliver, Quote - "Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Harold Whitman, 3. Wagner's string quartet, 4. almost anything by John Singer Sargent. The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit is a favorite. It's hanging in the MFA in Boston. It's huge. The girls look *so* real. It's amazing., 5. There are so many pretty places in San Francisco... Somewhere on a hill in San Francisco.)

4 comments:

Terri said...

1. What is a song you've had stuck in your head this week?
I Kissed a Girl, by Katy Perry. It's infectious.

2. What's a poem or quote that inspires you? Anything by Mary Oliver or Eduardo Galeano. Rumi. Hafiz. And this:
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." ~Ambrose Redmoon

3. What is a piece of music you haven't listened to before, but would like to?
More post-rock music.

4. What is a painting/drawing you love to look at?
I'm over the moon for the colors in Flaming June: http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Frederick-Leighton/Flaming-June-c1895-Print-C10019635.jpeg

5. Name a pretty place you've been to.
Allenspark, Colorado.

Andre said...

1. I have to go by time-of-day. The last one was Kurt Elling rendition of "The Waking".
2. Because of Pam, "The Journey" also.
3. Adams "On the Transmigration of Souls". I'll be listening to it shortly though.
4. Anything by my GF.
5. Ann Arbor

Suze said...

1. Viva la vida by colplay. It won't leave my head, either!

2. Lately, The Road Less Traveled, but probably b/c I just played a choral version of it.

3. Oh, there are several operas, I suppose. Rosenkavalier is one of them.

4. I love all those tortillera paintings by...is it Diego Rivera?

5. The zoo this morning :)

Jesse Andrews said...

1. Gillian by The Waifs

2. I recently read "If there was no praise or criticism in the world, then who would you be?" and it is inspiring me to rethink assumptions.

3. I'm not very cultured w.r.t. classical, so hard to answer. I would like to hear Lakme - Flower Duet performed live.

4. I tend to like things like http://levitated.net/daily/levEmotionFractal.html and
http://levitated.net/daily/levMaedaPath.html

5. Pohoa, Hawaii was beautiful