Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Kick in the Pants

Just a few days ago, I picked up a book by Anthony Robbins called, Awaken the Giant Within. I haven't progressed very far into it, but just thought I'd share a little of his wisdom with you. I first became familiar with Tony Robbins when I bought another book of his called Giant Steps at least a decade ago. One thing from that book has actually stuck with me for all this time, so I feel reasonably confident that at least something in this new book will be useful. In Giant Steps, he suggests that if you are stuck in a (mental) place where you have a lot of things you need to do, but you just can't get yourself to do any of them because you feel totally overwhelmed, the best thing to do is ANYTHING -- pick up a piece of paper off the floor, do a load of laundry, alphabetize your book collection... whatever! He says (from what I remember) that once you start doing things and accomplishing things, you will get yourself on a roll and in a positive frame of mind that will set you up for success and get you to the frame of mind you need to accomplish all of your other projects.

Here is one snippet from Awaken the Giant Within that I found interesting:

"Everything you and I do, we do either out of our need to avoid pain or our desire to gain pleasure... What is procrastination? It's when you know you should do something, but you still don't do it. Why not? The answer is simple: at some level you believe that taking action in this moment would be more painful than just putting it off."

There are a couple of things I have been procrastinating doing for a long time and it occurs to me at this moment that by putting them off, I have been wasting a ton of energy. I am actually a habitual procrastinator. This is what Wikipedia has to say about procrastination. It's pretty interesting. This is pretty interesting, too: Getting Things Done. As is this: Structured Procrastination.

Last night I had my first voice lesson in almost 3 years. She kicked my butt. I needed it. It was good.

No comments: