Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Let's Pretend...

Not too long ago I was talking to a friend who told me that she often imagines she is really fat when she sings. Doing this makes her feel more grounded, helps her breathe better, and leads her to find a bigger, more solid sound. She obviously isn't changing the size of her body with her imagination, but her imagination helps her to achieve what she believes would be easier if her body were different. This isn't the strangest visualization technique I've heard from a singer. As singers, since our vocal mechanism is internal and difficult to control in the same way as an external instrument, like a violin or piano, we are often searching for some sort of visualization that leads us to a better sound. In the midst of this conversation, I mentioned that sometimes in auditions, I have actually pretended I was someone else. I used this technique not for vocal reasons, but for help with my confidence. I figured that if I identified myself too heavily as someone who wasn't confident, I should try some method acting and just play the role of someone who was -- usually a specific person who epitomized energy, charisma, and confidence to me. It helped tremendously -- and it was fun! My imagination obviously didn't turn me into another person, but it helped me to find the parts of myself that were more capable of exhibiting confidence and charisma. Our minds can do so much to limit us when we have limited ideas of what we think is possible. On the flip side, we can use our imaginations to stretch our ideas of what is possible. Visualization can be useful as a way of expanding our realities or just as a way of rehearsing for future events. Pretending can be a fun way to try on modes of living life that we aren't normally comfortable with -- also stretching our imaginations as to what is possible.

Have you used visualization in your life? Have you ever chosen a theme song of the day to help direct your mood/confidence?

2 comments:

Suze said...

I have often visualized myself as a very large person playing the piano. I'm not large in real life, and imagining an extra 50 lbs helps get more sound, and more depth of sound.

Pam said...

That is so interesting! I had no idea other musicians did that!