Sunday, July 27, 2008

Next Challenge - Read without falling asleep....

I have a heap of books I've been meaning to read, so for my next challenge I'm going to try to finish at least one of the following books in the next week. I realize this may sound like a small challenge, but for some reason I have the annoying tendency to fall asleep while reading, which makes it very difficult to get very far. Here are the books that are calling my name:

Middlesex - Eugenides
If on a winter's night a traveler - Calvino
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Murakami
A Fine Balance - Mistry
The Moor's Last Sigh - Rushdie
Doctor Zhivago - Pasternak

My hope is that focusing on this will help me find a solution to my falling asleep problem and help me get back into the habit of reading more. A few of these books are partly read and I've read at least one chapter of all of them at one time or another.

Have you read any of them? What books are sitting on your shelf waiting to be read?

7 comments:

Scott said...

Wow, these are some of my very favorite books ever right here. Well, here's a starter for you:

"If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" is quite easy to read, and a lot of fun. Shorter than most of the others too. Probably quite a do-able challenge. It also has many easy places to stop and rest. :)

"The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" is one of my absolute top favorite books EVER. But, probably not easy to read if you're sleepy. Fairly long, fairly philosophical. Also BRILLIANT and delightfully surreal. But still. I highly recommend it if you're feeling bold.

"Middlesex" is fabulous, and quite the page-turner. There are many of those pages to turn, but I found it the kind of book I had a hard time putting down. Probably, while not the shortest of these, the easiest to get caught up in and carried away with the plot and characters and such. Thought-provoking and also just plain a good read.

Charley said...

I came across your blog because I am reading If on a winter's night a traveler. It's a unique reading experience. I started The Wind-up Bird Chronicle a few years ago but never finished it. It's one I've been meaning to pick up again.

Suze said...

i've read the moor's last sigh (incidentally, rushdie did a book-signing here a few weeks ago, though i didn't go).
i have so little time to read, i wouldn't know what to recommend--probably a first for me!

Pam said...

So, I actually started reading the Calvino, but it's nice to read your comments, so keep 'em coming! :-)

Pam said...

So, it's Thursday at 5:20pm and I'm 120 pages into this 260 page novel. Finishing by Sunday night seems pretty inevitable, but I am still falling asleep sometimes while reading it. I fell asleep reading it last night and again this morning before work. The lesson so far is that I need to just keep trying. If I'm sleepy, I fall asleep. If not, I can read for a while.

Pam said...

It's Saturday morning and I'm still only on page 161. Whoa. I'm having some trouble here. I keep falling asleep while I'm reading. I hope I can still make my goal of finishing the book by Sunday night.

Pam said...

It's just a bit after midnight on Saturday night and I just finished If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino. I definitely had a hard time staying awake almost every time I sat down to read it, and I'm thinking it has more to do with the state of my health than the quality of the book, although it wasn't exactly a single-focused plot. It's like ten short unfinished novels. Anyway, re: my health, I think I need to start exercising more. I mean, it's not like I don't get any exercise. I do walk to work and back every weekday, which amounts to a couple of miles, but I don't do any strenuous exercise and I think I need to start. So, I think that's what my next challenge is going to be about. More soon.