Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Procrastinator's Exercise

I lifted this exercise right out of Awaken the Giant Within. I hope -- if you're in need of it -- that you find it useful. I don't intend for you to share your answers with me. This is for your private use.:

+++

First, write down four actions that you need to take that you've been putting off. (leave room to write under the items)

Second, under each of these actions, write down the answer to the following questions: Why haven't I taken action? In the past, what pain have I linked to taking this action?

Third, write down all the pleasure you've had in the past by indulging in this negative pattern. (For example, getting quick pleasure from eating sugar...)

Fourth, write down what it will cost you if you don't change now. How does that make you feel?

The final step is to write down all the pleasure you'll receive by taking each of these actions right now. (Make a huge list that will drive you emotionally, that will really get you excited: "I'll gain the feeling of really being in control of my life, of knowing that I'm in charge. I'll gain a new level of self confidence... etc."

+++

Do you procrastinate? What helps you get going again? Do you see procrastination as a major obstacle for you? -- in your creative life?

No comments: