Sunday, August 03, 2008

Challenge: Week Three

This week I've decided to make a challenge for myself to exercise every day, because I really need to do it and this "challenge" method seems to be working rather well for me. My goal is to do some sort of strength training, aerobic activity, and stretching every day this week. I'm planning to alternate between push ups and pilates core strength training for the strength training part, alternate between running and walking up steep hills for the aerobic activity part, and do an assortment of yoga and runner stretches for the stretching part. I have a pretty specific plan, but I won't bore you with all the details.

I started medication for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome a few months ago and have found that exercise definitely helps. Sitting, standing, or lying in one place for a long time definitely makes me feel crappy. I think there is some connection there to why I fall asleep so easily when I'm reading, but I don't really know. Anyway, I think that getting more exercise will be a good thing for me.

How are you doing?

4 comments:

Steph said...

Nothing motivates exercise like discovering that it helps a medical condition. I run like it's my religion ever since I figured out that it helps control my endometriosis symptoms. One of the crappiest things about having something medical going on is feeling out of control of your body; exercise helps with that so much.

Good luck with your challenge!

Pam said...

Thank you, Steph!

Pam said...

So, I did it, but I have to say running was rough this morning. I knew it would be a challenge to run through the city -- especially my neighborhood -- but I was hoping running at 6:45am would make things better. I still had to dodge people and sidewalk construction. Also, I had to breathe in smoke from at least 3 cigarettes, a pipe, and a marijuana joint -- luckily, since I was running, it wasn't too much, but enough to be extremely annoying. Also, I didn't take into consideration the fact that part of my route has a brick sidewalk, which is far less than ideal for running. So... I think I can handle doing this for the rest of the week, but in the long term, I'm either going to have to drive somewhere or join a gym. Ugh.

Pam said...

I confess... I didn't exercise yesterday. I felt really crappy and it just didn't happen. However, this morning I did do my push ups and also had a successful run. I found an alternative route that had less obstacles. It did involve running up a few steep hills, but surprisingly that actually wasn't so bad. Also, I found it easier to make it my goal to run for a certain amount of time instead of a certain distance. So, yay for today!