Friday, October 17, 2008

Choosing a President

Today I read an article that deeply disturbed me, because it suggests that people should choose our next President on the basis of one issue, even if the candidate who takes the "right" side on this one issue is overall a much worse candidate. The justification by this author is that we can't really know how much worse that person would be on any of the other issues, but since we know where he stands on the one "crucial" issue, we can't in good conscience vote for him.

I think this advice is naive and absurd. If you focus on one issue and not the sum of the candidate's character and everything he stands for, you are probably not going to do the right thing. There is no perfect candidate, but for once in the whole time I've had the right to vote, there is a candidate who is damn close and I'm voting for him.

This article is a great response to the article I took issue with.

No comments: