Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Lost Day

Today I had an upper endoscopy, a procedure in which my doctor took a camera on a long rubber tube and shoved it down my throat to look at my esophagus, stomach, and part of my small intestine (a procedure he routinely prescribes to people like me, who have had acid reflux for more than 5 years). I had to be sedated with a drug that made me very sleepy and only semi-conscious during the procedure (something I have never experienced before). I sort of remembered the procedure right afterwards, but basically I have no memory of what happened. The narcotic (and amnetic) drug I was given made it so that I felt really drowsy and out of it for the entirety of the rest of the day. It has been a really weird day. I came home and after eating a bit and catching up on email, I fell asleep for 4 hours. So much for going back to work. Then I went out and got some food, read a few internet articles, and sat in bed some more. My throat is quite sore in one spot, so much of what I ate was ice cream and apple sauce. Finally after Ian came home, I ate a little (including some butter he made...) and we watched an episode of Futurama. I feel like if I had a cup of caffeinated tea or coffee, I could finally start my day. Unfortunately, it's 10:42pm. I wonder if I'll be able to sleep?

2 comments:

Suze said...

Weird!

I hope everything looks normal!

:-) said...

Thanks, Suze. He did say everything looked normal. :-)