Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 2: Blog Writing Challenge

Good Morning! This is the first morning in quite a while in which I've woken up *not* feeling groggy. Woo hoo! I'm not really sure why. I am guessing either a) I'm not sick anymore (even though my nose is still stuffy) or b) It really does help to get up right when the alarm goes off (although I did that yesterday, too, with less spectacular results) or c) 6:00am is a good wake up time for me. Oh. I don't know. But, anyway, I am very glad that I am feeling more awake this morning. Also, I went to sleep a few minutes before 10:00pm last night. So, maybe there is something to the bedtime/wake up time change. I have read that if you consistently get up at the same time, it gets easier and easier to get up. I should note that I have previously been a notorious "snooze" presser. I think I will stick to 6:00am for a while and see what happens. This may be difficult on the days when I have rehearsal from 7-10pm and even on the days when my schedule goes until 8-9pm... but I'll try to be optimistic.

So, yesterday afternoon I was chatting, via google, with my Bostonian friend, Jake, who told me that he was about to make dinner. In the midst of the conversation I told him that I never cook for just myself, that I basically never cook anymore, and that I was planning to have oatmeal for dinner. Jake asked me why I never cook for myself and recommended that I should! I think my brain was trying to use snot instead of neurons to process thought yesterday and I was still feeling sick and had very little energy, so at the time this did not seem like a good idea. But, luckily, in the late afternoon a while later, I started feeling like I had more energy, and I decided that I *did* want to go get some groceries and cook some dinner for myself.

I walked a couple of blocks to a grocery store called *Sutter Fine Foods*, which is a market smaller than a normal supermarket, but bigger than a convenience store, that happens to have a pretty good selection. Also, they have the kind of coffee I like to use in my french press, which I was out of. When I got there, I chose a small yellow squash, a small zucchini, 7 white mushrooms, a white onion, and two small tomatoes. And then I went to the small refrigerated section with cheeses and found a tub of grated parmesean and some fresh four cheese ravioli. In addition to the coffee, I also bought butter, a mini loaf of french bread, and honey flavored Greek yogurt (which is my new favorite food on the planet). On the way home I stopped at Blockbuster and picked up a couple of movies. While I was doing the dishes and cooking, I set my MacBook Pro up on the cabinet which divides my kitchen from what is probably supposed to be the dining room, and chose from hulu.com the last episode of the Conan O'Brien show, which was amusing and touching. I sliced the onions and then sauteed them in a generous amount of butter, then did the same with the mushrooms, then after a while the tomatoes, and then the zucchini and yellow squash. I let the vegetables cook for quite a while before adding some Santa Cruz Mountain Pinot Noir. And then turned up the heat while I boiled the water for the pasta. I boiled off quite a bit of the liquid so that everything was just a bit brown. I guess I forgot to say that I also added freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground lemon pepper while it was cooking, but no other spices. Once it was done cooking, I drained the raviolis and plated them, and then topped them with the vegetable mixture and the grated parmesean. Then I sat down on my futon and watched *No Impact Man*, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The pasta was delicious, if I do say so myself!

*No Impact Man* is a documentary about a couple with a young child who try to reduce their environmental impact as much as possible over one year. It was particularly interesting to me to see how the woman in the picture transforms from an espresso guzzling shopaholic to a much more relaxed and seemingly happy person. But mostly what I liked about the film were the reminders of all the different ways we as individuals make an impact and the ways in which we can reduce that impact. I don't think there was any new information in the film or any issues I had never thought about before, but I enjoyed it just as well. I would have to say the one way in which I make an environmental impact that bothers me the most is the amount of trash I create. It really kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I really do need to cook more and buy less packaged/prepared food. And, I need to make sure I have a reusable coffee mug with me at all times *and* at least a couple of reusable bags. I am not always good about that, so I could definitely improve. Also, I think I need to flush the toilet less often. I don't know if I would go as far as they did in the film and not use toilet paper at all, but I could certainly reduce my water usage by not flushing every single time. And... I was thinking... if I cut my hair, I could take shorter showers. But, I'm not sure about that yet. I think you know you need to make a change when you do something that bothers you so much it turns your stomach. That's how I feel when I'm at a store and have forgotten to bring a bag with me and have to use a bag they provide. I've felt like that for years and I'm glad policies about bag use are changing. It's so disturbing when I think about garbage island. Oy.

Well, it's 7:41am, so I've got to stop! Until tomorrow, my friends! Have a great day!

No comments: