Thursday, November 18, 2010

Slowly Recovering...

Well, my sore throat is much better today, which is a relief since I've had it for a full week now. I'm still very congested, but that is less distressing. Still, I'm pretty bummed, because I took seven work days off from my office job and if I count today, I will have been sick for 3 of them. Boo.

The good news is that I have made some progress on the goals that prompted me to take the time off in the first place. In addition to getting business cards made, scheduling a pick up for my old futon, getting mostly caught up on Susan's blog, and sorting through some piles of papers, I uploaded some recent and not so recent recordings of my singing to MY OWN SOUNDCLOUD PAGE.

Unfortunately, I have made minimal progress in creating a C.V. because the task just seems too overwhelming. Trying to retrace my steps over the last *twenty* years is a huge project. It would probably help if I knew for sure what it is I am hoping to do with the finished project. Apply to DMA programs to finish my degree? Apply for adjunct teaching positions? Or... should I really be applying for funding to put on recitals? And if so, how do I do that? Maybe I should be doing all of those things!?!? (More coffee!!)

I guess the C.V. would be useful to me no matter what, so I might as well just buckle down and do it. Like... I finally got a new headshot a few weeks ago. These things need to be done. And, I'm trying to figure out if the recordings I have are useful, or if I need to schedule a recording session so that I have some traditional repertoire, like operatic arias, in mp3 format. And, if so, I need to meet some San Franciscan pianists! Or, I suppose I could schedule something in Syracuse while I'm there during the Christmas holiday. I don't know.

Sometimes I think having a clear destination in mind seems important and that the reason I have been aimlessly wandering for most of my life is because I have never been clear on what I'm doing. But, sometimes I think that life is about experience and I wouldn't have the interesting life I've had if I had been focused on just one goal all along. I certainly haven't been -- and yet, I've always been singing...

2 comments:

Suze said...

Look up Jeffrey Sykes. He's a UW alum and is artistic director for OFY here, but I think he is based in SF. I could probably find his contact info for you. He's fantastic...and if he's not available, could probably recommend other pianists.

Pam said...

Thank you, Susan! :-) I found him and sent him a message.