Saturday, December 04, 2010

Performance Challenge

Tonight I have agreed to perform a piece I wrote for voice and violin *by myself * at what I hope will be a very mellow house concert. That was not the original plan, but when the original plan fell through and I needed to come up with something else to perform, I asked a friend of mine if he would be willing to hum the violin part of a duet I wrote while I sang and he said he thought I should try to accompany myself. I decided this would be an interesting challenge, but now I am trying to figure out how to take on this challenge without making myself look like a bad musician. I have to say, I have a tendency to play it safe when it comes to musical performance. I have only performed my own music in public one time outside of a composition class and that one time was in a remote art gallery corner (singing and playing piano) where people were milling about and not really listening. Also, I have not played my violin in public in over ten years. I tend to only sing music I think I will sing well. Honestly, I am pretty scared of having people think I stink at what I do. So... tonight I am pushing the boundaries in two areas. Not only am I singing a piece I wrote in public, but I am accompanying myself on the violin. It doesn't sound too terrible... but I am trying to figure out a way to perform the piece so that part of the time I am singing without the violin just to show that I can actually sing and sing in tune. It's remarkably hard to sing with good technique with a violin on your neck. Also, it's quite difficult to sing in tune with a violin you are playing. Wish me luck! Am I crazy?

UPDATE 1:05am: Performance over and it went pretty well! It was definitely a good experience over all.

4 comments:

Scott said...

That's awesome! Gooooo Pam! It's always good to take some risks. Wish I could be there!

Here: have some Owen Pallett to inspire your voice/violin action! Not the best sound quality... and this song is totally better on CD... but a pretty impressive feat of self-duettage nonetheless.

Pam said...

Thanks, Scott!! Did you mean to include a link?

Scott said...

Oops! Let's try that again.... the linkage didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGIiutD1YdQ&feature=related

Pam said...

Very cool! He's awesome! I definitely didn't sound like that! Thankfully my piece is very slow and legato... :-)