Friday, December 03, 2010

Writing

I'm convinced that the act of writing regularly is essential in learning to write well. The reason I started a blog in the first place, in addition to wanting to keep in touch with Susan after leaving Madison, was to learn to write better. And yet... since I had trouble finding anything to write about, I didn't post here for a week.

I think it must be the same with writing music. I have written a fair amount of music for someone who has never formally studied composition or songwriting and I would love to do more of it and get better at it, but I am always thwarted by the idea that I am no good at it and so therefore shouldn't try. It occurred to me the other day, though, that the fact that I keep wanting to write -- write words and write music -- is enough to make it worth while. And, maybe I should even consider taking lessons. I feel pretty certain, though, that the very first step is just to do it -- and do it regularly.

3 comments:

Suze said...

Bird by Bird, Pam. Bird by Bird.

:)

Miss you!

Pam said...

Oh... you mean... be patient?! Hahaha! That is a great book. I should read it again. I miss you, too, Susan!

Suze said...

that and the little daily assignments...it's just a really helpful book for all kinds of stuff besides just writing!