Monday, January 31, 2011

+ + +

Sometimes I get so riled up about environmental, animal welfare, and other important social and political issues that I think I should go back to school and get another degree so that I could do something more substantial to help.  Thinking about the problems we face and the size of them can be so overwhelming.  But then, I read about projects like this and feel so inspired.  There are people who have actually found ways to combine their artistic talent with their passion to help solve environmental (and other) problems.  That is so cool!  Putting on concerts in partnership with a nonprofit that is meaningful to you to raise money and raise awareness could be really rewarding.  I wonder who else might be interested in doing something like that?

2 comments:

Scott said...

That looks like a great project! I'm working on something in a similar genre, but it's off in the distance... I may be writing an opera-type thing that addresses the whole mountaintop-removal mining issue here in Appalachia. But yes! I don't think you need another degree, just the determination to do things like this, and the stubbornness to follow through on that impulse. Go Pam!

Pam said...

That's awesome, Scott! I saw a video by a woman who won an environmental award for her work on fighting mountaintop-removal mining. I didn't know anything about it before then. So terrible. Good luck with your opera!