Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vegan Trial

I have decided to try veganism again on the advice of my doctor, of all people!  I was eating a huge amount of cheese, milk, and yogurt every day, so this has been a challenging couple of days.  I've started eating lots of fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and grains.  But, I confess that I'm feeling hungry and I can see that if I'm going to do this successfully, I'm going to have to do a lot of grocery shopping, get organized, and cook a bunch of meals ahead of time.  That is not how I usually operate, which is why I was eating so much dairy and refined flour and sugar.  What can I say?  Those foods are quick and easy!  Over the last month, since I gave up refined flour and sugar, I have forced myself to start eating bushels upon bushels of fresh fruits and vegetables, and have started cooking whole grain pasta with veggies and beans in the evenings.  So, I'm partly there.  (I was already a vegetarian, of course.)  But, I've never been a patient cook.  Everything in my nature up until now says I will fail at this.  Still, I have to be optimistic.  My doctor has some compelling reasons for me to try it out and success in the long term is definitely worth a little pain and inconvenience now.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Go for it, Pam! Cooking is awesome! If you need any ideas for things to cook, I did a whole lot of vegan cooking in college. I would recommend branching out into some easy "ethnic" things too! Rice+beans, stir-fries with tofu or seitan, curries with coconut milk... they're totally very filling things that aren't too hard to make.

Suze said...

Well, I love to cook, and we eat meat only rarely, but I have to say cooking vegan would be a challenge for me! I would echo Scott's advice about trying out some things with rice and beans, lentil curries. Those foods are also pretty cheap, which is a big plus. Good luck!

Pam said...

Thank you so much for your support!! :-)

Scott said...

Oooh, another idea! I have an awesome vegan recipe for a spicy squash stew with peanut sauce (vaguely West African) that is crazy filling thanks to the peanut butter. Let me know if you want a recipe!