Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Exercise

Well, I was going to wait until March to exercise, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I really need to just start doing it. I'm in luck, because the elevator in my apartment building is doing some weird things that have inspired me to take the stairs. Also, this morning I went for a run. I have been complaining since I moved here that my apartment is poorly located for running. I have always enjoyed running on dirt trails, especially along or around bodies of water. It's hard to get used to the idea of running where I live now because I live right in the middle of a giant concrete hill, so all four directions lead to a steep incline or decline. There is no way around it. I could ride my bike (down a really steep hill?! no way!) or drive or take public transportation somewhere else to run, but my schedule is very busy and that would take a lot more motivation. Finally, I realized that I need to just embrace the uniqueness of my neighborhood and design a way to exercise that is based on what it has to offer. I am starting very small. This morning I ran up two really steep hills and then jogged around a bunch at the top of the hill and jogged back down. I only exercised for about 15 minutes, but it felt good! I think tomorrow I might try doing a combination of running and walking on just one hill. Maybe I will run up, walk down, and then try to immediately run back up and if I can't do that, just walk it multiple times. Oh - and I also quit drinking coffee today... It was a green tea only day and I totally survived (with a little headache, but not too bad). I guess change is in the air for me!

**UPDATE (1/13/11)
I've been doing about 15 minutes of exercise and 15 minutes of stretching. I start with running up one of the steep hills, walk down it, and then repeat that four times. Then, I do some weight training. The stretching part is actually the hardest part. I am really stiff. I know it's not a lot of exercise, but I'm trying to do this 6 days a week and hoping it helps get me going in the right direction.

No comments: