Saturday, February 05, 2011

Vegan Update

Well, I made it through my first week of veganism and feel pretty good, I must say. I have already invented a new favorite dish of whole wheat rotini pasta w/ sauteed onions, mushrooms, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes (in olive oil) and lentils. It is very delicious and lasted me several days the first time I made it. I liked it so much that I made it again tonight. I've been eating Kashi 7-Grain cereals for breakfast. They have one that tastes a lot like Grape Nuts and another that is puffed. Both taste great with rice milk. And for lunch, I have continued eating raw. I actually just finished week five of eating only raw fruits and vegetables for lunch. I snack on nuts and sometimes Lara bars during the day. That's about it. Not too difficult, much more healthy than how I was eating last year, and I'm feeling fine. My awesome neighbor leant me a book called *Becoming Vegan* that was written by a nutritionist and has a lot of good information about how to make sure I'm getting all of the nutrients I need. After reading a couple of chapters, I've decided to step up the tofu and also start taking a B-12 supplement. I'm already supplementing my Vitamin D and taking 2 tbsps of blackstrap molasses a day for iron. I am feeling good about this slow and gradual approach I've been taking to get back my health. In January, I eliminated refined flour and sugar. In February, I became a vegan. Both of these efforts have dramatically increased my consumption of fruits, vegetables, and other healthy plant based foods. I am thinking that March will be a good time to get myself back into the routine of exercising regularly, but until then, I want to really concentrate on tweaking my diet the best that I can. I have lofty goals for my health this year that I want to stick to for the rest of my life, so I'm in no rush.

No comments: