Tuesday, June 21, 2011

California

So, since I wrote last I have fallen in love with California even more and now I don't ever want to leave. I've been taking pictures every day, seeing new parts of town, spending time with people who I don't normally get to spend time with, and saying goodbye to students, co-workers, and other friends left and right. On Sunday, My friend LKA invited me to hang out with her in Oakland. I have had a number of people tell me that Oakland is awesome and I have considered moving there before for financial reasons, but every time I have been there before this time, it seemed really commercial and dirty. I didn't really see what the appeal was. It turns out, I just hadn't been to the right part. We took a walk around Lake Merritt, which was beautiful. It was a gorgeous day, we walked on a really nice dirt path, there were lots of people out walking, biking, and jogging, there were lots of geese and every other person had a cute dog, a man was commandeering a gondola on the water, there was a neat children's play area, and there were some really lovely buildings to see all around on the outside. After walking, we grabbed some food from Trader Joe's, ate it outside by some palm trees, and then went to a beautiful old theatre to watch the movie *Bridesmaids*, which was really funny. And, this morning, I don't know if it's just the coffee mingling with my brain cells, but I love this coffee shop I'm sitting in. It's right around the corner from my apartment and I'm sitting in a far corner so I can see everything going on outside on the street and inside the cafe. There is so much activity: people on their way to work, students off to summer school, mechanics from the local garage, retirees, waste management guys taking a break, etc. Haha... and the song playing on the radio is "Boston" by Augustana. That's really funny! In case you don't know it, the lyrics to the chorus are:

She said I think I'll go to Boston
Think I'll start a new life
I think I'll start it over
Where no one knows my name
I'll get out of California
I'm tired of the weather
Think I'll get a lover
And fly him out to Spain
I think I'll go to Boston
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town
To leave this all behind
I think I need a sunrise
I'm tired of Sunset
I hear it's nice in the summer
Some snow would be nice
Oh yeah

We've had real summer weather for the last 3 days, so I can't say I'm tired of the weather at all right at the moment, but I do relate to the song in the sense that it has been very cold for most of the last month and I do miss the seasons, especially in the Fall. But, today is perfect and I have really been appreciating everything about where I am for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes it takes leaving to realize how wonderful things are just where you are. But, of course, the reason things are so wonderful is because I'm leaving, isn't it?

No comments: