Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Songwriting

I've written a song every day for the last six days and find that when I'm in the groove like this, it's actually not difficult at all to come up with material. What is difficult for me, though, is knowing how to refine and improve my product (and having the patience to do so). Since I've never had private lessons in this area and don't really know what I'm doing, I try to learn by listening to songs I like, teaching myself to play/sing those songs, and analyzing the details of what I think makes them good. But, that only goes so far and there is a lot I haven't figured out yet. I have never had this much time to devote to songwriting. Now that I do, I see how much work and time it takes to do it well. I can't even imagine how much work it would take to write a symphony. It seems like it would totally take over your life. You'd probably never go out of the house or ever talk to anyone.

No comments: